The SMIT-Ed Program will become a recognized center for competency, research, and educational policy in math, science and IT education, in response to the needs of Philippine basic education.
salvacion: note about ‘competency center’
graduate / professional development
where are we going to put in ‘curriculum’ and ‘material’?
center / institute – political distinction. institute has a higher status than a department. budget and autonomy implications. institute: director. center, under a department. outreach or particular researches, not degree-granting. you can’t just give load.
advanced training and development?
cathy: ‘advanced training’ can cover materials development and educational technology as well.
The SMIT-Ed Program will become a recognized center for advanced training and development, research, and educational policy in math, science and IT education, in response to the needs of Philippine basic education.
Not worried about tertiary – different departments take care of that. basic education defined as before tertiary.
– As competency center, aims to service the needs of professional educators, education specialists, and policy makers in Math/Sci/IT, particularly in areas of: teacher training, materials development, educational technology, curriculum development and design
– As research institute, seeks to contribute to fields of math/sci/IT education through research in areas of: teacher education, curriculum, cognitive psychology, culture, educational technology, software development
– As educational policy center, seeks to be involved in critical issues pertaining to teaching and learning of Math/Sci/IT in the Philippines by providing directions for teaching math, science and technology
s/competency center/a center for advanced training and development
technical definition from Cathy:
professional educators: teachers, principals, active educators in the field, usually people with a degree related to education, people who have passed through teaching
education specialists: don’t face students. at a desk. curriculum design. dept ed. they train professional educators.
policy makers – supervisory positions, principals and up – dep ed, supervisors, superintendents, technical panelists, science education institute
do you want to clarify this? is there an encompassing term?
cathy: insisted on specialists because of Ed.S. decree – between master
of education and doctor of education. specialist in education. not
expected to do research, but you should know a lot more than an
master’s degree holder does. We don’t really have here.
explanation of areas of teacher training
question: curriculum development includes lab curriculum development? that seems to be what is needed.
cathy: curriculum and program development and design? ex: math program for gifted students
teacher ed – teacher values and beliefs
curriculum – if you want to develop policy, you have to go into curriculum research too. that’s how constructivist approaches in NZ got started.
cognitive psych – queena. it’s interesting. possible interdisciplinary area. we don’t have background in developmental psych, though
culture – cathy: social aspects of learning science and math. isolate the culture of a filipino science classroom, look at prominent features which contribute to effective learning in science; looking at the social aspects, as opposed to cognitive psychology. looks at interaction between and amongst students and teachers. values.
active learning pedagogy? where would that fall? student-centered? not among those listed. more focused on teaching methodologies. maybe called instructional methods?
instructional – also focus on learning methodologies, so both need to be acknowledged
note to self: learn how computers are being used in the grade schools.
problem-solving, where does it belong? cognitive or instruction/learning? cognitive psych seems to be under instruction and learning
we’re back to linear compartmentalized instead of spiral. Moved curriculum back to advanced training and development, as it’s more part of policy.
software development subsumed under educational technology
educational technology includes hardware, aids, anything with technology
somewhat redundant? which phrase to remove? Removed pertaining to… .
nouned the gerunds (oh, my English teacher is going to kill me)
- As a center for advanced training and development, SMIT Ed aims to service the needs of professional educators, education specialists, and policy makers in Math/Sci/IT, particularly in areas of: teacher training, materials development, educational technology, curriculum and program development and design
– As research institute, seeks to contribute to fields of math/sci/IT education through research in areas of: instruction, learning and assessment, teacher education, culture, and educational technology
– As educational policy center, seeks to be involved in critical issues in the Philippines by providing directions for the teaching and learning of math, science and technology
question: what if people ask – if those who teach in the college level
need help from us, where does that fall under…? We direct them to
the respective departments. If they really want to learn more
educational principles. Need focus, don’t want to blur the line
between SMIT Ed and the respective departments. Need to focus on basic
education. Cross bridge when we get there.
Let’s schedule our next meeting. Research agenda. What topics to focus
on for research? When is a good time for you? September 15, 4:30 –
6:00, SEC Lounge.
So, who can present this? Cathy and Didith? September 10. Cathy and Joel will do it.
- presentation by Cathy, Joel and Dr. de las Pen~as.
– also, book purchases.