Here are some things I change right away in my Inkscape settings:
- Double-click on the pencil tool, and choose “Last used style”.
- Draw something, then click on the fill color box. Choose X for fill.
- Switch to the Stroke style tab. Select a rounded joint and a rounded cap.
- Open File > Inkscape Preferences. Click on Transforms. Uncheck “Scale stroke width”.
- Use View > Snap to turn off snapping to the grid or to guidelines. That way, you can use guidelines, but your strokes will still look natural.