One of the best things about drawing is that you can draw things that don’t exist. Somehow your world splits into all these different possibilities. Even if you can’t quite capture what you hold in your mind, it’s there. Your rough sketches remind you.
And so: pirate kitties.
Drawing things you can’t see turns out to be surprisingly fun.
So I finally figured out what was wrong with the way I was trying to generate my web services for Websphere 6.1. I’d been using “Generate Java bean skeleton” from the WSDL file, which worked fine for the 6.0 target, but which didn’t work for 6.1. The correct way to do it is to right-click on the service and choose “Generate – Top-down Service”.
I also spent some time figuring out how to correctly use the XSD the IT architect sent me in order to use it for the data types in the WSDL. This is how:
<xsd:import schemaLocation="....xsd" namespace="..."> </xsd:import>
One of the pieces that was missing for me was dealing with namespaces, but once I got my head around XML again, I added some namespaces and got the referred types working.
So I’ve retwiddled our web services and gotten them to work with the new data structures. My test cases pass again. Progress!