- Sketchnotes, commitments, cooking, plans, blogging – Weekly review: Week ending September 20, 2013
- Ten years of learning how to cook
- Setting up dynamic DNS with Tomato and Namecheap, and limiting SSH
- Poll: Planning a weekly topic-focused blog – what would you like to read more about?
- The learning machine: How I turn what I learn into blog posts
- Sketchnote Lessons: Adding Emphasis
- Growing authority
Quick notes from this week
- Figured out that my Plover problem was because I’d remapped Backspace in Autohotkey. Got that working again!
- Remapping Left-Ctrl to Backspace is pretty handy.
- HST/GST on meals and entertainment are usually 50% claimable. It seems easier to split this for each transaction – guide
- Inkscape was choking on my bitmap tracing, but Potrace 64-bit worked just fine. Now I don’t have to buy Illustrator to scale up or rearrange my sketchnotes. =D
- Added version 2 of How to Learn Emacs: A Hand-drawn One-pager for Beginners – Oooh, PosteRazor lets me test-print large images and create poster mockups, yay! about -L he El about
- The 3 Secrets to Effective Time Investment: How to Achieve More Success with Less Stress (Elizabeth Grace Saunders) has a detailed chapter on routines and processes.
- The Tension (and Relationship) Between Creating and Consuming: Need to balance – you can go overboard creating, too. I read a lot more than I write, and that and life fuels my writing.
- How Speakers, Authors & Trainers Use Interactive-Visuals: Types and examples
- The First Step Out of Consumerism: The benefits of buying used whenever possible
- It’s All In The Habits: How I Live Cheap and Create My Own Freedom: Yay for frugal habits! I have pretty much the same habits, except I don’t drive at all. =)
- DPP041: Writing Stupid eBooks, Leveraging Spreadsheets, and More: Don’t write an e-book for the sake of writing an e-book
- Why Evernote Isn’t as Streamlined as It’s Made Out to Be: Always good to be aware of and test the limits. Besides, cute graphic.
- This Checklist Helps You Make Sure Your Investments Are on Track: Yay one-page visual summaries and cheat sheets! I like the style of this one.
- Meal Planning for Busy Families: We’re still working on making weekly meal plans a habit. Usually it’s a combination of leftovers for the first few days and then some other cooking during the week, with the freezer supplying lunches and the occasional dinner.
- What’s On Your “Someday” List and How Long Has it Been Lingering There?: I occasionally review my list of goals and guiltlessly shelve the things I’m not as interested in.
Focus areas and time review
- Business (40.6h – 24%)
- Earn (21.7h – 53% of Business)
[X]Earn: Consulting – E1 – Monday half-day
[X]Earn: Consulting – E1 – Thursday
[X]Earn: Consulting – E1 – Tuesday
[X]Earn: Consulting – E1 – Wednesday half-day
[X]Follow up with B
[ ]Earn: Consulting – E1 – Monday half-day
[ ]Earn: Consulting – E1 – Thursday
[ ]Earn: Consulting – E1 – Tuesday
[ ]Earn: Consulting – E1 – Wednesday half-day
- Build (13.3h – 32% of Business)
- Quantified Awesome (0.0h)
- Drawing (6.0h)
[X]Work on a hi-res version of Learn Emacs
- Paperwork (2.6h)
[X]Adjust HST on meals and entertainment expenses
[X]Investigate depreciation expenses
[ ]File payroll return
[X]Put together mini business cases for different possible investments
[X]Scanner – $455.99
[X]Pilot Hi-Tec-C 0.4
[X]Find my power adapter
- Connect (5.6h – 13% of Business)
[X]Create help wanted page
[X]Go to Hacklab members meeting
[X]Host Visual Thinkers Toronto meetup
[X]Prepare limitations presentation
- Earn (21.7h – 53% of Business)
- Relationships (9.6h – 5%)
[X]Go for a walk
[X]Go to MEC
[X]Copy emergency numbers
[X]Try reconstituting dehydrated food
[X]Repack new things
- Discretionary – Productive (12.7h – 7%)
[X]Call DC with go or no go decision
[X]Replace inner tube
- Writing (0.3h)
- Discretionary – Play (12.7h – 7%)
- Personal routines (20.9h – 12%)
- Unpaid work (14.7h – 8%)
- Sleep (60.8h – 36% – average of 8.7 per day)
- 05 October 2013 at 8:10pm
- Weekly review: Week ending October 4, 2013 » sacha chua :: living an awesome lifesacha chua :: living an awesome life
[…] Learning writing, and growing; Weekly review: Week ending September 27, 2013 ...