- Weekly review: Week ending September 13, 2013
- Sewing: Made a PS Vita case!
- When I blog with Emacs and when I blog with other tools
- Help me figure out how I should reinvest business profits
- Sketchnotes: Conversations About Social Business (Jennifer Okimoto, IBM)
- Sketchnote Lesson: Adding color
- Thinking about hard commitments and soft commitments, and adapting my life accordingly
- Ten years of learning how to cook
- Whiteboard Selling (2013) is a potentially useful book for consultants and others who sell services/products in face-to-face meetings.
- The Strategy of Conflict (1980) is mind-boggling. There's an excellent essay on bargaining that's like "The Art of War" for haggling.
- Kitchen math: A double batch of egg tarts needs six extra egg yolks, so 1.5 batches of coconut macaroons balances that out nicely with a need for six egg whites.
- If you can't override a WordPress widget plugin because it doesn't use a filter, you can subclass the widget and rewrite the output.
- Using Content Creators to Fill Your Blog With Quality Posts - My blog is pretty full. I want to experiment with getting some help in this area. I write a lot, and I'd like to see if hiring people can help me write better.
- Wealth Advice that Should Be Obvious - Good fundamentals. I still manually pay my credit card bills (electronically, though) so that I have a regular review cycle. Working on stocking up better, looking forward to analyzing a year of groceries to learn more about our consumption patterns. =) (I've got the data, after all!)
- Ask For Personal Stories When Receiving Advice - Similarly, give personal stories when giving advice. =)
- DPP040: Rethinking Blog Archives, Creating Challenges, and 2 More Great Ideas - I keep a manual blog index, and I should probably organize it logically instead of semi-reverse-chronologically.
- 23 Tricks to Learn Anything Better - Working on #18 (always be compressing)
- Invite Friends. Get Points. Introducing the Evernote Referral Program. - now you can try Evernote Premium for a month for free by following people's referral links (here's mine). Already have Evernote? If you share it with others, the first referral gets you a month, and following referrals half a month each (up to 12 months total). I think the ability to help people try Premium for a month is probably more interesting, although since it's $4.99/month, it's probably not that big a deal. =) (details)
- 3 Easy Ways to Increase Your Writing Speed - Keep ideas handy, create an outline, don't mix research/editing with writing. Outlining helps with #1 and #3, so that's worth getting really good at. =)
- Just One Thing: Do Better And Save Time With A Blogging Checklist - Make a checklist for more consistency. I like Michael Hyatt's blogging template (it's more thorough than that first blog post), although I haven't yet gotten to that level of awesomeness. Maybe I should do that for at least one post a week, to see what it's like?
- Business (35.6h - 21%)
- Earn (18.8h - 52% of Business)
[X]Earn: Consulting - E1 - Thursday
[X]Earn: Consulting - E1 - Tuesday
[X]Earn: Consulting - E1 - Wednesday half-day
[X]Follow up with SR
[ ]Earn: Consulting - E1 - Monday half-day
[ ]Earn: Consulting - E1 - Tuesday
[ ]Earn: Consulting - E1 - Wednesday half-day
[ ]Follow up with B
- Build (12.2h - 34% of Business)
- Quantified Awesome (0.0h)
- Drawing (6.2h)
- Paperwork (1.6h)
[X]Identify five top-rated article writers
[X]Modified BWP Recent Comments widget to rewrite HTTPS URLs to HTTP by subclassing it
[X]Plan business reinvestments
[ ]Rejig 404 page
- Connect (4.5h - 12% of Business)
[X]Sketch Jennifer Okimoto's talk on social business
[ ]Go to Hacklab members meeting
[ ]Host Visual Thinkers Toronto meetup
[ ]Make a hi-res version of Learn Emacs
[ ]Prepare limitations presentation
[ ]Create Org page
- Earn (18.8h - 52% of Business)
- Relationships (4.4h - 2%)
[X]Go to MEC
[X]Set up appointment with U
[X]Try the lentil can
[ ]Go for a walk
- Discretionary - Productive (15.4h - 9%)
[X]Go through Latin Made Simple chapter 1
[X]Replace inner tube
[X]Set up the Colemak keyboard layout
[ ]Try reconstituting dehydrated food
- Writing (4.1h)
- Discretionary - Play (18.7h - 11%)
[X]Played more Legend of Heroes
- Personal routines (16.4h - 9%)
- Unpaid work (14.7h - 8%)
- Sleep (64.3h - 38% - average of 9.2 per day)