We celebrated A-‘s birthday with W-‘s family. W- made lots of yummy food, and I got a few photos printed. A- keeps growing at an amazing rate. She now lets us put the conformer into her eye socket without any fussing, signs somewhat reliably for “nursing” and “more” (which she also uses to ask for water), says “Mama”, recognizes words like “cat” and “wave”, varies her intonation a lot while babbling, crawls up stairs, lets us put glasses on her for a few seconds at a time, cruises along furniture (including the coffee table W- built), takes turns drinking from a cup or water bottle cap, uses her teeth in the defence of chicken drumsticks, and clings to W- when she doesn’t want me to put her to bed. She was even perfectly fine staying home with W- while I went to the dentist for a cleaning. (2 units, yeah!)
We got through her first bad cold, 12-month vaccines and blood tests, and a bit of a kerfuffle about her teeth. (Spoiler: enamel hypoplasia.) The cardiologists are still monitoring her heart condition – the hole is getting smaller, but there’s a muscle bundle developing, so we’ll have to wait and see. She seems fine at the moment, though, and they’re okay with seeing us in August.
We’ve been establishing new routines now that W- is back at work. I’ve been taking her to lots of programs and centres: Let’s Get Started, Peer Nutrition, the TDSB Family Literacy Centre, and the usual neighbourhood places. There are plenty of toys at home, too, including a couple of additions to our Diplo connection.
My mom and my sister are helping my dad recover from his operation. I’m figuring out the logistics of going over there with A- and seeing if I can help out. Solo long-haul travel with a toddler sounds pretty daunting, but if I work through all the risks, I can probably manage it.
Consulting’s been going fine: a few small features and a prototype client for consuming information. I’ve also been getting a head start on our taxes and improving my ledger. Gradually sorting things out!
- Emacs News
- What makes my week satisfying?
- Daily: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
- 2017-02-10a January 2017 #monthly #review
- 2017-02-06a Week ending 2017-02-03 #journal #weekly
- 2017-02-11a Week ending 2017-02-10 #journal #weekly
- 2017-02-19b Week ending 2017-02-17 #journal #weekly
- 2017-03-01a Week ending 2017-02-24 #journal #weekly
- 2017-03-05a Week ending 2017-03-03 #journal #weekly
- 2017-03-03a Reflecting on new routines as a stay-at-home parent #routines #parenting
- 2017-03-03b Magic wand thinking – sitter #parenting #delegation
- 2017-03-03c Increasing focused time opportunities #parenting #time
|Business – Build||0.4||0.1||-0.3||0.1||-0.6|
|Discretionary – Play||1.5||1.0||-0.4||1.6||-0.8|
|Unpaid work – Childcare||42.4||41.0||-1.4||62.2||-2.4|
|Discretionary – Social||0.5||0.3||-0.3||0.4||-0.4|
|Discretionary – Family||0.1||1.5||1.4||2.2||2.3|
|Business – Connect||0.1||0.0||-0.1||0.0||-0.2|
|Business – Earn||0.7||0.9||0.2||1.4||0.3|
|Discretionary – Productive||2.5||2.2||-0.3||3.3||-0.5|