(Finally, a little time to catch up on my writing! =) )
Ah, July. Many of the medical uncertainties we’d been working on over the past few months were wrapped up, at least for now. A- got her first artificial eye – a scleral shell that will gradually be enlarged to help her skull grow symmetrically. The anomalous finding on her abdominal ultrasound turned out to be a benign hemangioma according to the MRI. Cardiology at Sick Kids got a closer look at her ventricular septal defect through an echocardiogram under sedation, and they’ll continue to monitor it along with our first cardiologist. It feels a little strange to have medical appointments scheduled months out instead of practically every week, and to not get a referral to yet another department, yet another section of the Hospital for Sick Children. In the five months that A-‘s been alive, there had been five weeks free of medical appointments, and even those were under the shadow of the next thing to research, plan for, and accept. It’s starting to feel like we have a bit of a handle on things.
We’re so lucky that parental leave was an option for W-. It allowed us to take shifts in consoling A- when the procedures upset her. W- made delicious dinners: pesto and bun from the summery abundance of our planter boxes, juicy rotisserie chicken when it was too hot to cook indoors, and even more yummy things I didn’t have the attention span to do. He even got into the habit of ironing and pre-folding the large flannel squares that we use as A-‘s diapers. That way, she wouldn’t be bothered by any doubled-up hems. Lucky girl, and lucky me.
I reacquired Philippine citizenship and included A-, so she has that option. I hope I don’t end up regretting the paperwork. Sometimes dual citizenship is helpful, and sometimes it makes things trickier. Anyway, might as well.
Lots of social stuff, too. Tita Gay and Tita Myra drove up from the US to meet A-, and it was great to catch up with them. I’ve been going to a peer nutrition program conducted in Tagalog in order to learn more about feeding the baby and also to find out about Filipino community resources. We met another family with a baby who has left-eye microphthalmia, and we swapped notes. Slowly making new parent friends!
A- has gotten much better at rolling, and she likes spending time on her tummy. She can reach her toys from the rocker’s reclined position. She loves playing with water from the hose or streaming down from a cup with holes. We’ve been introducing her to lots of different kinds of food, and she’s gotten quite good at putting things into her mouth. Growing growing growing!
- Emacs News
- Daily: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- 2016-07-12a June 2016 – index card #monthly #review
- 2016-07-03a Week ending 2016-07-01 – index card #journal #weekly
- 2016-07-10a Week ending 2016-07-08 – index card #journal #weekly
- 2016-07-19a Week ending 2016-07-15 – index card #journal #weekly
- 2016-07-23b Week ending 2016-07-22 – index card #journal #weekly
- 2016-08-01a Week ending 2016-07-29 – index card #journal #weekly
- 2016-07-01a Words for A- and words for me – index card #parenting #writing #time
- 2016-07-02b What to do when – index card #parenting #time
- 2016-07-06b Planning for gaps – index card #career #parenting
- 2016-07-11b What might I want to improve – index card #parenting #ideas
- 2016-07-13b Forming routines – index card #parenting #routines
- 2016-07-13c Figuring out time – index card #time #parenting #productivity #experiment
- 2016-07-17b Helping A- learn – index card #learning #teaching #parenting
- 2016-07-17c Notes to support A-‘s learning – index card #learning #teaching #parenting #notes
- 2016-07-17d A- observations – index card #parenting #observations #a
- 2016-07-18a Plans for A-‘s learning this week – index card #a #plans #parenting #teaching
- 2016-07-19c Thoughts on what I’ve been learning about the Montessori method from books – index card #parenting #teaching #montessori
- 2016-07-26a Remembering the reasons – index card #parenting #decision
- 2016-07-30c How do I want to tweak my decision-making – index card #perspective #parenting #kaizen
- 2016-07-13d Waste – index card #waste ref 2010-06-24
|Category||Period 1 %||Period 2 %||Diff||h/wk||Diff h/wk|
|Business – Build||0.3||0.2||-0.0||0.4||-0.0|
|Discretionary – Play||1.0||0.5||-0.5||0.9||-0.8|
|Unpaid work – Childcare||34.0||34.3||0.4||59.6||0.6|
|Discretionary – Social||2.3||1.5||-0.7||2.7||-1.2|
|Discretionary – Family||1.4||1.2||-0.2||2.1||-0.3|
|Business – Connect||0.1||0.1||-0.0||0.2||-0.0|
|Business – Earn||2.4||1.4||-1.0||2.5||-1.6|
|Discretionary – Productive||5.8||4.8||-1.0||8.3||-1.8|