For a large shop:
- count on a migration period of about five years.
Train the admins, make them your friends.
- Transition back-office stuff first, so that admins cut their teeth
away from users prying eyes.
- For the desktops, try an easy one first, like firefox.
Let simmer for a year or two.
- wean people slowly off of desktop apps, with more and more web
applications, making sure they work with firefox.
- Then try a bigger one: open office. This is the really big one. take
it slow, careful, and thoroughly researched (like how to transition
Joe’s macro’s etc…)
- After that, users will barely notice when windows is swapped out and
replaced. They’ll already be used to firefox & openoffice. the linux
thing won’t be a big deal, especially if it’s on KDE.