Today was Cook or Die dinner with Dominique and Marcelle. I found a
packet of pepper beef stir-fry seasoning mix and a recipe for bean
sprouts with Chinese egg strips. I was supposed to cook it for lunch,
but my family decided to go out then, so I ended up cooking it for
Pepper Beef Stir-fry
- 500g beef fillet, sliced – I used the beef stroganoff cut
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 stalks spring onions, cut to 3 cm
- Maggi seasoning mix
- Combine 1.5 tbsp seasoning mix with 2 tbsp water. (Probably just pepper and MSG. ;) )
- Heat oil and stirfry beef for 3 minutes.
- Add mix and onions. Stirfry until beef is done. (What do they mean by done?!)
- Add spring onions and stirfry for 1 minute.
I chopped the spring onions a bit more finely than I should. I
completely forgot about the 3 cm description! Oh well. It didn’t turn
out too bad, although the spring onions practically disappeared.
Bean sprouts with Chinese egg strips
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 medium onion, skinned and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, skinned and crushed
- 1 medium red or green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 4 celery sticks, washed and chopped
- 175g (6 oz) button mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 225g (8 oz) bean sprouts, washed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in frying pan. Add beaten eggs and cook over gentle heat. Remove from pan, cut into thin strips, then cut each strip into three or four pieces.
- Heat rest of oil in pan. Add onion, garlic, pepper and celery, and cook for around 10 minutes until soft. Increase heat, add mushrooms, cook until golden brown.
- Stir in bean sprouts, soy suce, seasoning, egg strips. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring, until heated through. Serve immediately.
Not a bad meal. Again, I was a bit overzealous with the knife, chopping the green pepper instead of slicing it. Oops. That’s okay, it was still edible.
It wasn’t a particularly impressive meal, but it wasn’t a bad way of using beansprouts.http://sachachua.com/blog/p/3228