- 43Folders: Snapshots of a Dream Productivity App 09:14
- The Command Line in 2004 09:35
- Physics in the City, Eastwood, Jan 15 11:22
- One #emacs day - 0. 2005.01.05 and 1. 2005.01.06 23:33 ([[EmacsDay#note1][EmacsDay:1]]"[[EmacsTips#note20][EmacsTips:20]])
|B||X||Review Christmas letter 2004 : E-Mail from Harvey Chua|
|B||X||Reply about blogging on sachachua.com : E-Mail from Federico Sevilla III (TaskPool)|
|B||X||Merge bookmark title : E-Mail from Dryice Dong Liu (PlannerModeMaintenance)|
|B||X||Reply about getting things done : E-Mail from Baris Eren (PlannerModeMaintenance)|
|B||X||Reply : E-Mail from Mark Chignell (FurtherStudies)|
|B||C||Set up an aggregator for my family (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Install NetBSD on spare partition (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Reply re writing: E-Mail%20from%20Lindy%20R. (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Reply: E-Mail%20from%20Chiba%20Tomoko (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Nomail my pinoyjug groups; use bloglines or gmane to read them: E-Mail%20from%20Jojo%20Paderes (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Steal code I wrote for adphoto thumbnails (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Write e-mail gateway to munge mail going between our phones: Chat%20with%20:dreamd%20on%20Amsterdam.NL.EU.undernet.org%23linuxhelp (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Sign up: E-Mail%20from%20逸見%20研一 (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Check out clmemo (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Check out nnkiboze again: Chat%20with%20bigmike160%20on%20sendak.freenode.net%23emacs (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Check out ion and ratpoison, try tmpwm command to switch: Chat%20with%20johnsu01%20on%20sendak.freenode.net%23emacs (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Try out nnrss again: Chat%20on%20sendak.freenode.net%23emacs (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Fix tla2darcs: E-Mail%20from%20Mark%20Stosberg (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Check out and reply: E-Mail%20from%20JC%20Helary (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Reply: E-Mail%20from%20JC%20Helary (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Reply: E-Mail%20from%20Lloyd%20Ian%20A.%20Agujetas (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Reply: E-Mail%20from%20Kojima-sensei (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Reply: E-Mail%20from%20OHURA%20Makoto (TaskPool)|
|B||C||Reply to Kamakura guide from E-Mail%20from%20山崎 豊 (TaskPool)|
|C||C||Suggest use of prefix to force pickup of plan page : E-Mail from Toby Allsopp (PlannerModeMaintenance)|
|C||C||Ask about http://planet.debian.org : ../personal/note (TaskPool)|
|C||C||Mail Al Alegre: E-Mail from Dominique Cimafranca (TaskPool)|
|C||C||Fix my IRC coding system (TaskPool)|
1. 43Folders: Snapshots of a Dream Productivity App
See, Planner's onto something here.
We're not very good at ad hoc collections, though.
2. The Command Line in 2004
Garrett Birkel wrote an interesting response to Neal Stephenson's "In the Beginning was the Command Line".
On Technorati: geek
3. Physics in the City, Eastwood, Jan 15
Bonus track: fireworks at 7 pm, for those like me who are fireworks afficionados.
- Opening Program, Auditorium, 10-10:20am - Einstein Lecture, Auditorium, 10:20-11am - Demos, presentations, exhibits, magic tricks, coffee table talks, Central Plaza, Cybermall, Citywalk 2, 11am-12noon
- Demos, presentations, exhibits, magic tricks, coffee table talks, Central Plaza, Cybermall, Citywalk 2, 12noon-6pm
- Open forum on the environment and astronomy, Central Plaza, 6-7pm - Fireworks, Grand Staircase 7-7:30pm - Demos, presentations, exhibits, magic tricks, coffee table talks, Central Plaza, Cybermall, Citywalk 2, 7:30-10pm </blockquote>
Waaah. Forget about kids. _I_ really want to go. WAAAAH.
E-Mail from rick
4. One #emacs day - 0. 2005.01.05 and 1. 2005.01.06 ([[EmacsDay#note1][EmacsDay:1]]"[[EmacsTips#note20][EmacsTips:20]])
Here are interesting tidbits from irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs
M-x column-number-mode makes Emacs show column numbers.
emms-locate is a useful way to play selected media files.
- Powerful buffer switching: With either iswitchb or ido, <kbd>C-x b C-s<kbd>. ido seems to be better than iswitchb for multitty Emacs, and comes with CVS GNU Emacs. iswitchb is in GNU Emacs and the edit-utils package for XEmacs. If you want to stick with iswitchb fulltime, add
(iswitchb-default-keybindings) to your init.el.
- ess (emacs spreadsheet): <code>set-variable set-goal-column nil for neater navigation
(define-key dired-mode-map [.] 'emms-play-dired) after dired is already loaded
- Editing XML: Many people recommend nxml (GNU Emacs only). xsl-mode is also useful even for other XML files. xsl-mode indentation is better than xml-mode, too. xsl-mode is in the xslide package, and in the cygwin sumo package.
- If you want Python files recognized, install python-mode and
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist (cons "\\.py\\'" 'python-mode))
- Gnus: You can use B DEL to delete drafts.
- Recursion in lambdas!
(funcall #1=(lambda (n) (if (= n 0) 1 (* n (funcall #1# (1- n))))) 5) - result: 120. Not recommended.
- Use M-x goto-line to go to the nth line.
- To copy the font setting and color-theme of the old frame when you create a new frame:
(defadvice make-frame (around frob-frame-parameters activate) (let ((default-frame-alist (frame-parameters))) ad-do-it))
- How to get rid of all the ^Ms at the end of lines:
M-% C-q C-m RET C-q RET RET . (Better solution:
M-x revert-buffer-with-coding-system, dos.)
desktop can make Emacs jump to the previous position in a file when you reopen the file
- Setting auto-fill in file comments:
<nowiki>-*- mode: major; mode: auto-fill -*-</nowiki>, where major is the major mode you want
- ess toolbar variables (customization) need to be set before ess is loaded, but ess is loaded in site-start. How do you set it, then?
- darcs repository: http://edward.oconnor.cx/code/ljupdate/ - ERC seems to be the most popular IRC client. - Have you checked out the Emacs <nop>LiveJournal community? http://www.livejournal.com/community/emacs/ - Don't worry about losing local changes when you modify the source code of CVS Emacs. CVS does patches. - Emacs under screen: <kbd>C-\</kbd> might be a good Screen escape key. - People use normal synchronization tools like rsync, unison, and CVS to sync their planner.el pages between computers. - Hook variables named -hook tend to not take arguments, while hook variables named -functions might be called with arguments. - Debian: /etc/emacs/site-start.d and /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup.el are responsible for lines like "Loading 00debian-vars (source)...", while /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-package-install is called when the deb is being set up.
On Technorati: emacs
I'd love to hear about any questions, comments, suggestions or links that you might have. Your comments will not be posted on this website immediately, but will be e-mailed to me first. You can use this form to get in touch with me, or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org .