Headlines for Sunday:
- Get-togethers I would like to have 00:45
- Refined list of get-togethers 01:26
- Team IITians bags the 2005 Trend Micro P1M Tech Challenge 01:35
- Ouch. Time to reflect. 19:11
- Quarter-life crisis 21:46
- Quarter-life crisis update: Let's do that virtually 22:38
|A||X||Write about brain drain for On Campus|
1. Get-togethers I would like to have
- Geekettes speak. Exclusively for women, all forms of geekiness accepted. What can we do to encourage extraordinary learning and success in girls? Also, brainstorming for Charo's summer camp. Let's make that happen.
- Education. People with a passion for teaching: let's talk. What do we need? How can we make a difference?
- Open source development. Who's working on what? What do we need to do in order to get more people to contribute to open source? How can people get started? What problems do people encounter? What can we do to make open source development more visible?
- Open source and education. What does it take to get Linux and open source into our classrooms? Who's doing that? What's it been like? What help do people need from the community?
- Cybercafes. Who's doing open source in cybercafes? How are they doing? What else do they need? How can we support them? What's the next important thing we can do to get open source into cybercafes?
2. Refined list of get-togethers
- EDUCATION. Jan 7, afternoon. Who else is passionate about teaching
and education? What do we need? How can we make things better? Audience: teachers and other people who have good ideas or can volunteer to help. So far: Butch
- GEEKETTES SPEAK. Jan 7, evening. Let's talk about what it's like to
be female in technology and other fields. (And swap tips on what to do with pesky people who hit on you! ;) ) We can also brainstorm Charo's summer camp. =) Audience: Women. Newbie women particularly welcome--good opportunity to get to know other people and feel more comfortable in PLUG, for example. It really helps. Guys will stay in another area and play games or chat. (Should ask someone to bring gaming console.)
- MAKING A DIFFERENCE. Jan 14. Help me figure out how I can make a
difference in the Philippines all the way from Canada. Tell me how you want to make a difference in 2006. (Who knows? Maybe I can help.) Audience: Anyone who wants to talk to me before I go off to Canada. So far: Zak
I want to get together with other people who are passionate about these topics. It's not going to be a big party where you might get to relax, eat food, and talk to three or four people, but rather something where we'll all tackle a problem and come up with ways we can help solve it.
- OPEN SOURCE DEVELOPMENT. Jan 14, afternoon. Who's working on what?
What do we need to do in order to get more people to contribute to open source? How can people get started? What can we do to make open source development more visible? Audience: Open source developers and people who want to contribute to open source in 2006.
3. Team IITians bags the 2005 Trend Micro P1M Tech Challenge
Totally awesome. =)
4. Ouch. Time to reflect.
I'm getting deeper into social bookmarking and tagging because that seems to be what I can do for research, but I'm not sure if that's how I personally can make the most difference. How can I solve real problems?
5. Quarter-life crisis
QUARTER-LIFE CRISIS: Best practices for twenty-somethings
- Time management - Money management - Career management - 2005 review, 2006 planning
Here's the idea: if you're a twenty-something (or near it) figuring out life for the first time, come. If you've figured out one or two of these issues and you want to share your insights, come no matter how young/old you are. We twenty-somethings will ask questions, talk about our fears, and share our current practices in the hope of walking away with one or two things we can use to improve our lives. Non-twenty-somethings can comment on our practices, share their experiences, and give suggestions. I think we'll have great personal growth all around. =)
This will be in Manila when I go home. Probably at my house, too. My availability: Dec 19 - Jan 19.
|Sprint||Jan 2, 3, 4, 5|
|Twice-weekly||Dec 20, 22, 27, 29|
|Once-weekly||Dec 20, 27, Jan 3, 10|
6. Quarter-life crisis update: Let's do that virtually
I'd love to hear about any questions, comments, suggestions or links that you might have. Your comments will not be posted on this website immediately, but will be e-mailed to me first. You can use this form to get in touch with me, or e-mail me at [email protected] .