Headlines for Thursday:
|A||X||@1100-1200 Q1 Attend lecture in MP134 from 2005.12.01 (mie1407f)|
|C||X||@1800-1900 Join Lego League judging meeting : E-Mail from Calum Tsang|
|A||X||Send academic CV|
|A||X||Find at least one scholarly paper about using keywords for information retrieval, start following links (research)|
|A||X||Check out a gazillion books on information retrieval (research)|
|A||X||Finish writing introduction to paper (mie1407f)|
I had to take a self-portrait because Calum forgot to take a picture of me for the LEGO stuff earlier.
Set up: Books, desk light, and powder compact to help me check alignment through digital camera display. A far cry from my dad's advertising studio in the Philippines, but not a bad attempt. ;) Might be new canonical picture. (It's about time!)
- Managed to get computer sticker _and_ face into shot!
- Pleasantly surprised that it came out okay at all, as I had to set up the entire shot with just a compact mirror as my guide. The camera was as far back as it could go, so I couldn't get any wider field of view out of it. I suppose if I adjusted the desk light and moved a little further back, I could fit the rule of thirds better.
- Lighting pretty good for desk light with no real reflection. Minimal eyebags, although should think of a way to fill in neck shadow. So _that's_ why they use U-shaped reflectors...
- My arms disappeared behind the desk. Should probably try putting my right hand on the computer screen, but at that angle, it might just look disembodied. Could also rest fingers against cheek. Hmm, what to do with my hands...
- Settled for just blurring background instead of hanging a backdrop. ;) Might need to blur background a lot more, although I suppose people can relate to the whole geek-hacking-in-dorm-room thing.
- Knit blouse had moire pattern that needed to be slightly blurred. Mental note: no more close knits in close-up portraits.
- Hi-res version would need more blurring because of pimples. <wry grin>
1. Discovering my inner librarian
Here are all the courses I'm considering.
MIE (I need one more class from the department):
|MIE 1510||Formal Techniques in Ontology Engineering||Tue 2-4 Need instructor's permission because of prereqs. Might be too formal? Would help with project, though|
|MIE 1403||Methods in Human Factors||Does this fit the kind of work I might do, or should I go to FIS and learn how to measure the performance of information retrieval systems?|
|MIE 1409S||Human Computer Interface Design for Complex Systems||Mon 9-11, Th 9-12. Potentially useful, but it's a joint undergrad class that starts on January 9, so I might end up missing two lab sessions in a row. Also, undergrad-synched classes probably won't give me the full grad experience|
|KMD 2002||Technologies for Knowledge Media||Summer?|
|KMDI 1001||Fundamental Concepts in Knowledge Media Design||Not offered this spring|
|KMDI 1002||Research Frontiers in Knowledge Media Design||Wed 2-5. Might require KMDI 1001? I want to learn more about knowledge media|
|CS 2537H||Hypermedia||Need instructor's permission|
|FIS 2168H||Information Retrieval Systems||Analysis and design? Tue 1-4|
|FIS 2186H||Metadata Schemas and Applications||Tue 9-12, could be useful but might be more for librarians and information scientists|
|FIS 2169H / KMD 2001H||User-centred Information Systems Development||Wed 9-12|
|FIS 2140H||Young People: Current & Emerging Information Practices||Could be interesting; may be more of social science, though|
|FIS 2142H||Theories of Classification and Knowledge Organization||Mon 9-12|
|KMD 2001||Human-Centred Design||Wed 9-12|
|KMD 2003||Knowledge Media & Learning||Likely offered in summer 2006. Check in again.|
I'd love to hear about any questions, comments, suggestions or links that you might have. Your comments will not be posted on this website immediately, but will be e-mailed to me first. You can use this form to get in touch with me, or e-mail me at email@example.com .