Headlines for Saturday:
|A||X||@0900 Chat with Papa. Happy birthday!|
|A||X||@1200-1500 Visit Michael and Alice Mc<nop>Guffin?|
|A||X||@1500-1600 Organize drawers|
|A||X||@1700 Join cooking workshop at room 410|
|A||X||@2100 Attend GH event|
|A||X||Reconfigure my kernel|
|A||X||Buy organizational stuff to sort out my clothes; maybe divide into winter/spring and summer/fall?|
|A||X||Download all the wikisym papers - +ongoing +research|
|A||X||wikisym: Are Wikis Usable?|
|A||X||- Describe audience|
|B||X||Update my computer|
Are Wikis Usable? - usability test of wikis: hyperfiction authoring for kids in laboratory usability trials. Main problems: hypertext (62%) and link creation and management (49%). Paper contains detailed analysis of problems.
- http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/apr03/mattison.shtml - Wiki as PIM and Collaborative Content Tool
Taming the TODO
Should include the new stuff, with screenshots: GTDTiddlyWiki, Backpack
Audience: New to Linux, probably don't have custom hacks yet. Need to know what's out there aside from mainstream PIMs like Evolution and KOrganizer. Need plenty of links to more information.
Focus on what people need, then suggest different tools.
- Top-down or bottom-up planning
- Proactive / reactive mix
- Where do tasks come from? e-mail, Web, etc.
- One-off tasks or continuing projects?
- Need to keep files?
- Scheduled or unscheduled tasks
- Do you think in terms of priorities?
Quick overview of two main schools of thought: Covey, GTD
Covey: Quadrants and roles. GTD: Inbox. Trusted system. Collection, Organization, Processing, Feedback.
- Personal wiki: hosted, local
- Request tracker
- Text file
- Find out how people plan.
- Give a brief overview of tools.
- Find out what their concerns are, recommend some tools.
- Review the tools.
- Share general tips.
I'd love to hear about any questions, comments, suggestions or links that you might have. Your comments will not be posted on this website immediately, but will be e-mailed to me first. You can use this form to get in touch with me, or e-mail me at [email protected] .