Headlines for Tuesday:
|B||X||@1800-2000 Attend Toast IT at Metro Hall, 55 John St., 3rd floor - Toronto Q2 from 2006.06.20|
1. Thoughts from the Social Tech Brewing org meeting: 03:40
Although it wasn't easy dragging myself away from what I had planned for the day, I'm glad I attended the Social Tech Brewing planning session for the upcoming topic: women in technology.
Jane and Nadia are thinking of putting together a workshop right before the Social Tech Brewing August event. The workshop will teach foreign-trained IT professionals the basics of (social) networking, giving them greater confidence and helping them make the most of the session. I'd love to help out with that!
There _are_ cultural barriers. I'm lucky because I can speak English clearly and confidently. I'm lucky because school gives me a natural opportunity to get work experience - that all-important Canadian experience that people look for. I'm lucky because networking is fun for me. I like connecting with people.
Not everyone is that lucky, and hey, I struggle with cultural differences or self-doubt from time to time...
In this, too, I want to be an evangelist. Evangelizing IT and inspiring confidence in women isn't a matter of talking _at_ them, but rather I need to listen to people's concerns and tell people stories: stories about other people who've faced similar problems, stories of approaches to try, stories of who they themselves can be in the future...
Random Japanese sentence: 赤ん坊は猫の尾でおもしろく遊んでた。 The baby was amusing itself with the cat's tail.
- firstname.lastname@example.org: Meep! Pen?
- mcfletch: Re: Flash!
- Jedediah Smith: Re: Fwd: PRIDE plan
- Mark Chignell: Re: Friday with Gordon
- Jon maddog Hall: Re: maddog, I'd like you to meet my friend...
- Paul Lussier: Re: maddog, I'd like you to meet my friend...
- Andrew Moris: Re: Keep Balance
- Karen Fung: Re: Going to Social Tech tonight?
- Don Marti: Re: Fwd: Job brainstorming for a friend]
- Edward O'Connor: Re: Fwd: Job brainstorming for a friend]
- thomas: Re: sachawiki: 2006.06.17
- Harvey V. Chua: Re: Email
- gabriel: Re: Fwd: Democamp 7
- Andrew Moris: Re: Hey... =)
- Paul Lussier: Re: My goal in life: sales and marketing?
- William L. Anderson: Re: Moleskine practice
I'd love to hear about any questions, comments, suggestions or links that you might have. Your comments will not be posted on this website immediately, but will be e-mailed to me first. You can use this form to get in touch with me, or e-mail me at email@example.com .