Headlines for Sunday:
roast beef, skateboard fun, tea party - Nigel, Ian, Gabriel
|A||X||@1300 Mel, irc.freenode.net|
|A||X||Doublecheck paperwork for work permit|
|A||X||Work on paperwork for permanent residency application|
|B||X||Reply re book : E-Mail from Bill Pollock|
|B||X||Connect Joe Whitney and Stephen Perelgut - IBM CAS, virtualization|
|B||X||Connect Mike Tsang and Will Pate - technology and preventing the spread of infectious diseases|
Last Friday, I successfully made it across the monkey bars!
Yes, go ahead and laugh. It seems like such a simple goal. Kids can do it. Heck, J- very handily does so without thinking too much about it. But last Thursday, it was a big deal to me. I made it across the monkey bars for the very first time.
I don't remember really playing on the monkey bars before. Sure, I'd clamber up them, but I never swung from bar to bar like, well, a monkey. And at 24 years old, faced with the jungle gym at Lithuania Park, I simply couldn't make it across no matter how much I wanted.
I was afraid that if I let go with one hand, the elbow of my other arm would lock. I was worried that my weak grip meant that my fingers would slip off the bar. I couldn't think of how to reach the next bar, especially if it was above the current one. Heck, I couldn't even hang there for a few moments without my hands hurting. I couldn't make it across. I couldn't even reach for the next bar.
Then I decided to stop making excuses. I watched J- do it and tried my best to do the same. Here's what I learned: Don't pull, just hang. Don't stop. Just keep going, and use your momentum to swing you over.
I did it! =) My hands hurt like anything and my palms were still sore that evening, but I finished it!
Next: figure out how to climb up the pole...
Random Emacs symbol: timeclock-day-base - Function: Given a time within a day, return 0:0:0 within that day.
- Reply to Bill Pollock - sent 2 days ago
- E-mail to Joe Whitney, Stephen Perelgut
- E-mail to Mike Tsang, Will Pate
- E-mail to Winston Damarillo, Mallory Chua
- Reply to Allan Tan - sent 2 days ago
- Reply to Karen Quinn Fung - sent 2 days ago
- Reply to stevej - sent 2 days ago
- Reply to Zaldy Co - sent 2 days ago
- Reply to Robert Snelgrove - sent 2 days ago
- Reply to Mama - sent 2 days ago
- Reply to jimmy.pulli - sent yesterday
- Reply to jongabriel - sent yesterday
- Reply to Papa - sent yesterday
- Reply to "Richard S Hockett, Richard S. Hockett - sent 3 days ago
- Reply to David J. Patrick - sent today
- E-mail to Edward O'Connor
- E-mail to Jane Reid
- E-mail to Robert Terpstra
- Reply to Mallory Chua - sent today
Inbox items: 2 as of 22:28
I'd love to hear about any questions, comments, suggestions or links that you might have. Your comments will not be posted on this website immediately, but will be e-mailed to me first. You can use this form to get in touch with me, or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org .