Headlines for Sunday:
Vine-ripened tomatoes were on sale at No Frills, so we bought some 15 pounds of plump, red, juicy, fragrant tomatoes. Mmm! We wanted to try canning our own sauce, so we picked up mason jars as well. As it turned out, canning your own vegetarian spaghetti sauce looks like a difficult process if you want to minimize the risk of food poisoning. We opted for the easy way out instead, freezing the spaghetti sauce flat in freezer bags. It came to about 4 liters of sauce. Where did all the rest of the tomatoes go? Probably splattered around the kitchen... it was a mess!
I had a lot of fun pulping what seemed like a hundred tomatoes. I simply couldn't stay awake long enough to see the process through, but W- kept the simmering sauce company late into the night. We look forward to trying some of it soon. I hope we actually managed to save time and money in the process, or it'll be one of those once-in-a-lifetime adventures. ;) (As long as it's not an end-of-a-lifetime adventure, right?)
On Technorati: cooking
Random Emacs symbol: rfc2231-get-value - Function: Return the value of ATTRIBUTE from CT.
Here are the highlights of the last week:
- Finally got my paperwork together for the post-graduate work permit! After following up with the School of Graduate Studies a number of times, I finally got the letter thanks to a follow-up by my department. Now I have to wait for my work permit...
- Notified IBM about possible delays. I'm glad that they're flexible.
- Applied for IELTS, an English proficiency test that will be useful for my permanent residency application.
- Started working on proposal for Emacs book. Read A-C of the EmacsWiki.
- Attended a Toronto Linux Users Group meeting that promised to be a vi vs. emacs debate. Greatly amused to hear it turn into an ed vs everything else debate due to old-timers.
- Watched "Philippine Science" with W- at the Toronto International Film Festival. Imagine that—a movie about my high school!
- Baked a cake for Mark Chignell, my research supervisor. Well-received. Also, got back in touch with Calum Tsang.
- Had another driving lesson. Reviewed 3-point turns. Also, practiced driving with W- in an empty parking lot.
- Gave a presentation on blogging to around 15 people at IBM. Convinced a few people to start blogging.
- Booked tickets for a flight home this March. W- and J- are coming. Yay!
- Picked up tons of books from library. Current reading focus: personal finance, work-life balance.
- Had a good conversation with W- about medium- and long-term goals.
- Still working on improving relationship with family.
My goals for the next week include:
- Clarify my vision for the next few years and develop a plan.
- Develop clear financial plan.
- Summarize advice on transitioning into real world.
- Send professional update to people.
- Spend more quality time with people.
- Post book notes.
Random Emacs symbol: gnus-parameter-large-newsgroup-initial - Function: Return GROUP's initial input of the number of articles.
- E-mail to Brenda Fung
- Reply to Mama - sent 2 days ago
- Reply to "Myra Siason"
- Reply to Mama - sent today
- Reply to Papa - sent today
Inbox items: 2 as of 13:09