Headlines for Monday:
For January 2008, my assignment is to write a chapter on taking notes with Emacs. Here are the blog posts that I plan to write, each around 1000-2000 words long. This should give me plenty of material to edit, if I don't go mad first. ;)
- [ ] Keeping Notes in Emacs Structured vs Unstructured (outline, free-form) Flat vs Hyperlinked Private vs Public File structure (one file, daily, snippets) - [ ] Outline Notes with Org, Blorg - [ ] Daily Notes with Planner - [ ] Hyperlinked Notes and Muse - [ ] Publishing Muse - [ ] Publishing Planner, RSS - [ ] Remember: quick note entry - [ ] Snippets with Howm - [ ] Blogging from Emacs - Wordpress, LJ, Blogger,Muse-Blosxom, EmacsAtomAPI - [ ] Encrypted Notes (full file, segments) - MOSTLY WRITTEN
I find that thinking of a book as a collection of articles works out well for me. Starting with a rough outline like this, I'll write 2000-word articles of the kind that I'd write for Linux Journal or LinuxWorld, and then I'd put them into my outline and add transitions. After I write all the pieces, then I can write the introduction and the wrap-up sections.
Slowly getting the hang of this writing thing... =)
Random Emacs symbol: message-narrow-to-headers-or-head - Function: Narrow the buffer to the head of the message.
Okay. 31 books. 15 days. Plus all the writing I still need to do. I may have made a bit of a miscalculation. No problem, it's the library, I can always renew or request books.
The only books I probably won't be able to renew are
- Open an Online Business in 10 Days
- Money Can Buy Happiness
- The Mid-Career Success Guide
- Make Your Contacts Count (2nd ed)
- How to Photograph Absolutely Everything
(Yes, I wander all over...)
I can do that. =)
One of these days, I'm going to revise my OPAC reminder script to also automatically deactivate all of my requests once I go over a certain number of books... ;)
Random Emacs symbol: table-narrow-cell - Command: Narrow the current cell by N columns and shrink the cell horizontally.
- E-mail to Mama
Inbox items: 54 as of 21:12
I'd love to hear about any questions, comments, suggestions or links that you might have. Your comments will not be posted on this website immediately, but will be e-mailed to me first. You can use this form to get in touch with me, or e-mail me at [email protected] .