– Boot grub with the following commands:
kernel (hd0,2)/root/root.bin ide0=ata66 initrd=/root/root.bin initrd (hd0,2)/root/root.bin
– Gleefully delete the other partitions except for the main XP one (we’ll leave one lying around just in case – it’s only 5G, anyway.)
– Create a 550 MB swap partition as /dev/hda2.
– Create a 5 GB partition for / – this is /dev/hda3.
– Allocate the remaining space for /mnt/data – this is /dev/hda4.
– Carelessly reboot.
– Start panicking.
What are my options?
– Find the hard disk, transplant it to the Vaio, install Linux over
the network, and proceed to have fun.
– Find one of those USB hard disk storage things, transplant the hard
disk into it, then do a debootstrapped install.
– Wait for someone to bring me a USB floppy drive.