– I love teaching. I love getting people to understand and appreciate
technology. I want to help people develop a sense of control over
their computers. I want them to be able to have fun while
programming, to see the creative side of technology. I also enjoy
exploring new ways of teaching, and I want to be able to experiment
with lots of techniques while adapting to individual differences.
– I love learning. I want to keep computer science fresh in my mind. I
also like exploring new technologies. I like playing around with
ideas, keeping a rough index in my head of things that may be useful
to other people.
– I want freedom. I want to be able to learn whatever I want to. I
want to work on projects of my own choosing and teach lessons I want
to teach. I want to be able to take off in the middle of the week
for a conference or a meeting.
– I love presenting ideas, tools. I want to present to and receive
ideas from as many people as possible in as many places as possible.
– I like writing. I want to write about new technologies and new ways
of working, turning the spotlight on past work and contributing new
knowledge to the world.
– I love working on open source.
This will be followed by a long reflection on teaching and other