- I love teaching. I love getting people to understand and appreciate
technology. I want to help people develop a sense of control over their computers. I want them to be able to have fun while programming, to see the creative side of technology. I also enjoy exploring new ways of teaching, and I want to be able to experiment with lots of techniques while adapting to individual differences.
- I love learning. I want to keep computer science fresh in my mind. I
also like exploring new technologies. I like playing around with ideas, keeping a rough index in my head of things that may be useful to other people.
- I want freedom. I want to be able to learn whatever I want to. I
want to work on projects of my own choosing and teach lessons I want to teach. I want to be able to take off in the middle of the week for a conference or a meeting.
- I love presenting ideas, tools. I want to present to and receive
ideas from as many people as possible in as many places as possible.
- I like writing. I want to write about new technologies and new ways
of working, turning the spotlight on past work and contributing new knowledge to the world.
- I love working on open source.
This will be followed by a long reflection on teaching and other options tomorrow.