Weekly review: Week ending March 12, 2021

| review, weekly
  • Emacs streaming:
    • I experimented with redirecting my automatic caption output into Emacs, using it to dictate a few sentences. It works well when I clearly enunciate.
    • I had problems streaming. OBS kept using >100% CPU. It might be the browser soure.
  • Video editing and subtitles:
    • I wrote some code to use word-level timing from Google’s video transcripts when splitting subtitles.
    • I wrote some code to mute the video based on subtitles and to include a title image.
    • I figured out what was wrong with my subtitle splitting code. format-seconds has a bug. It rounds up when given a decimal.
    • I split the videos based on the XML provided by BigBlueButton.
    • I edited the subtitles for Mike’s demo of transient.
    • I worked on generating title clips. At first, I tried editing Inkscape SVGs, but that didn’t work so well with long titles. I switched to using LaTeX and learned how to use TikZ.
  • Other:
    • I sewed a simple watermelon nightgown/dress for A-. She liked it.
    • I ordered the Georgi chording keyboard. I want to see if I can get the hang of stenography for captioning, writing, and coding.
    • The arborists removed one of the trees in the backyard.

Blog posts

Time

Category The other week % Last week % Diff % h/wk Diff h/wk
Discretionary – Productive 6.8 13.7 6.9 23.1 11.7
Unpaid work 3.7 4.7 1.0 7.9 1.7
Personal 4.7 5.3 0.6 8.9 1.0
Sleep 33.2 33.7 0.5 56.6 0.8
Business 1.7 1.4 -0.4 2.3 -0.6
Discretionary – Play 2.5 0.0 -2.5 0.0 -4.3
A- 47.3 41.2 -6.1 69.3 -10.2

I’ve been staying up to work on video processing.

You can comment with Disqus or you can e-mail me at sacha@sachachua.com.